Tuesday, April 17, 2012

May the odds be ever in your favor

This past weekend, the beau and I decided to FINALLY go see The Hunger Games! I am well into the third book and am hooked! Everything from the characters to the story line completely and utterly intrigue me. Could you imagine living in Panem? I know I certainly couldn't! The books are thoroughly enjoyable and definitely considered an easy read. I have read the past two books in an average of three days. I usually cringe when a book becomes a film but always give them a chance since they provide the audience with new depths. As for The Hunger Games...here are my thoughts..


First off, I love love loved Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. I saw her in Winter's Bone and was immediatly drawn to her character portrayel. She really does embody that powerful strong stubborn type.


As for the other characters...they were almost all spot on. From Lenny Kravitz as Cinna to Elizabeth Banks as the lovely Effie Trinket I thought the director did an amazing job. However, I hated the casting of the chick from Orphan as Clove. Not only was she not the buff girl I was expecting as described in the book, but I just couldnt take her seriously...all I kept thinking was her saying "put the bird out of its misery."


Costume wise I was impressed! I think the designers did a fantastic job at putting these somewhat far fetched outfits (like the chariot ride outfit) on screen. Katniss really was the girl on fire!


I thought the setting was also wonderful! Filming in Kentucky was a smart choice on the directors part...even though technically the setting is Appalachia which is close to me. Weather in the Appalachians can be horrendous so Kentucky was a fantastic close second! The Capitol was just as breathtaking as I had imagined! It was so neat to see it on screen.



Plot wise, I am 50/50. Some parts of the book were left out and others added in. The train ride to The Capitol was much more intense as were the training sessions in the book. There are some parts they over elaborated on (President Snow) and others that they didn't begin to chip the tip of the iceberg on (Rue). My biggest peeve was the Mockingjay Pin. I am sorry...but why did they have to cut out her relationship with Madge? I thought that this relationship made her all the more human and likeable. Rather, they portray her as friendless and cold in the film.


What were your thoughts on the book versus the film?


xxA

No comments: