Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Runners Blues

I moved into my new apartment in February which not only had a 24 hour gym, but just so happened to be located right next to a park. Early morning jogs with the pup, afternoon trail runs and sprints on the treadmill were in full swing. I was getting back into my running niche. After a set back with shin splints and a compressed nerve last fall, I felt like the old me again.



Then April 2nd happened...

While on one of my morning trail runs, I was getting especially into the groove. With Sleigh Bells blaring, I was feeling amazing and booking it through the trails. Towards the end of my run, I leapt over a root and down a slight mound. My foot planted. My body did not. Boom...instaPain.

After icing and limping for a few days and with Italy right around the corner, I did the responsible thing and went to see the doctor. A physical, MRI and some weird tugging and pulling exercises later the Doctor gave me the prognosis: a sprained ACL. It didn't sound too bad at the time since it wasn't completely torn and surgery wasn't necessary. He patched me up with a super sweet brace (not), pain meds and orders for physical therapy and sent me on my way.



Fast forward to today...

Still feeling pain. Still in physical therapy. Still wearing the brace. And STILL not running.

I have never had any knee problems up until now and I can tell you, it's no joke. I am beyond miserable, mostly just angry that I can't enjoy walking far distances, let alone running without sharp pains in my knee. I am at my wits end and just want to get out there again.

Anyone else ever been in this situation?

No comments: