Monday, June 17, 2013

To my daddy with love...

Fathers Day is always a special time for my family. I know EVERYONE says it, but my dad truly is the best! I have learned so much from him and certainly wouldn't be the woman I am today without him. After reflecting on everything he has taught me, shown me and guided me through I couldn't help but think about Michael Mitchell's "Rules for Dad's with Daughters." My dad has certainly read his books and has followed (most) of them.


Here are a few of my favorites:

Save the day! She’ll grow up looking for a hero. It might as well be you. She’ll need you to come through for her over and over again throughout her life. Rise to the occasion. Red cape and blue tights optional

  Whether I am having an emotional or a real crisis, my dad has always swooped in just in time to lead me through it, or to jump start my car.

Take her fishing. She will probably squirm more than the worm on your hook. That’s OK

  This one really resonates with me. My dad taught me how to fish before I could even tie my shoes. It was our thing, our time. And I loved every minute of it.

Let her hold the wheel. She will always remember when daddy let her drive

   The first time my dad let me drive I was 7 and we were in my grandparents private community. He thought it was a good idea, the ditch did not. Luckily I am a better driver now.

Let her come home. Let her know she can always come home. No matter what

 After college when I was lost and didn't have a plan my parents welcomed me back home with open arms and helped me get on my feet. I still go home for Thursday night dinners.

Write her a handwritten letter every year on her birthday. Give them to her when she goes off to college, becomes a mother herself, or when you think she needs them most

 Cards are a huge deal in my family. Hallmark can't express everything and my cards from daddy are always chock full of motivation, admiration and love. Getting these cards may be my most favorite gift. And yes, I have kept them ALL.

Don’t be late! She will eagerly await your return home from work in the evenings. Don’t be late

   I can still remember as a child waiting (impatiently) for the sound of my dad's truck. Once daddy got home, the fun could commence and I never knew what adventure would await!

Dance with her. Start when she’s a little girl or even when she’s a baby. Don’t wait till her wedding day

   It's no secret I got my blue suede shoes from my dad. He may be turning 50 but he could dance circles around most 20 somethings!

To read the full list click here

No comments: