Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday Five: Workout Essentials

Happy Friday Lovelies! Cheers to an amazing weekend for you all. I have recently fallen back in love with fitness. Whether I am hitting the pavement training for a Half, spinning through the hits, being tortured by my personal trainer or chillen out with some Yoga or Pilates, I have a new found appreciation for a healthy lifestyle. However, in order to workout with the best, one must always be prepared. Here are five items I cannot possibly live without when working up a sweat.

1. A good pair of shoes. Obviously a great base for your feet is a necessity but when it comes to choosing the right pair, things tend to get a bit overwhelming. While I do love the sleek look of Nike's I have learned that they don't like to go the distance with me. Before my last shoe purchase I hit up the local running shop which actually tests your running style, foot stance, arch etc to provide you with the perfect shoe. And whaddya know...Nike wasn't even on their list. However, these bomb ass Asics were. They have held up great and are super comfy. I can wear them while running miles after miles, spinning, hiking, running errands and yes, even while zumba-ing (is that even a word?).


2. Clothing. I love Under Armour and LuLuLemon just as much as the next WASPy gal but sometimes one just can't spend a trillion dollars on workout gear. Especially when I work out every day and sometimes twice a day. Its an expensive hobby, what can I say? So there are some inexpensive items I have come to love. Plain white T's, the V-neck kind from Hanes or Fruit of the Loom are fabulous! They keep you cool, look nice and cost a fraction of what UA's wicking tee's cost. I also tend to hit up Marshalls or TJ Maxx, they have all the best brands marked down super low. I recently purchased a bunch of Under Armour running shorts for $15.00 a pop! When it comes to workout pants, I have a wide array of colors and styles but usually go back to my tight fitting crops. I find that comfort is key, but also if you look good you perform well!





3. Water Bottle. Yeah yeah yeah, I know the obvious one. But finding the perfect water bottle isn't always easy. I have tried Nalgene, and I have spilled 50ml's of water all over myself and the treadmill. I have tried the squirt kind and splashed my face. I have tried the kind with the straw, and never seem to get the last drop. I was at a loss until I found Contigo water bottles. These puppies are wonderful! Absolutely leak and spill proof these BPA free water bottles have Autoseal technology. However, with just the push of your finger, you are free to drink like a camel to your hearts desire. Let go, and voila, no spills.




4. Watch. How many times have you been at the gym and lost track of time? Or how often do you not know your mile splits when pounding the pavement? If you answered often...you NEED a watch. Now, I'm not saying to go all Olympiad on me and buy a $400.00 watch that has a GPS and heart rate monitor. While that would be awesome, the everyday gal does not need one of those. I rely on my Timex Ironman edition ladies watch. It has everything I need, including a lap indicator and its waterproof so it doubles as my dive watch. Its small, comfortable and rather cute if I may say so myself.



5. Nike Fitness App. Whether you use an iPod, iPhone or Fuel band, you gotta have this app. The Nike Fitness App times and tracks your run while updating you on your distance and speed along the way. It syncs up with your Soccer Hooligan worthy workout mix and takes your workout to the next level. It gets even better, every time you plug in to your computer your workout is uploaded onto Nike's website. The website keeps tabs of your individual runs, goals, all time records and even has famous athletes giving you advice. The coolest part in my opinion, is that it tracks EVRY mile you have ever run with the App. Don't mean to brag, but I have logged over 350 miles since joining in January! I'll drink (water) to that!



What are your favorite workout essentials?

xxA

No comments: