Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Green Monster Madness

About a few weeks ago I decided to switch out my usual breakfast of Chobani, fruit and coffee for a Green Monster Smoothie. I was beginning to see how reliant I was on coffee and caffeine in general and quite frankly, my dependence was suuuuuper unhealthy. So, as a fruit and veggie junkie (and recent vegetarian) I figured it was a good gamble. I went out, bought a little one serving blender (easier to clean) from Target for around $15.00, my ingredients and into the kitchen I went. My first attempts were a little messy and I was late to work on a few occasions. But alas, I have perfected the Green Monster Smoothie and could not be happier! I have coffee maybe once a week now, am full well into lunch time, and have noticed healthier looking skin and my hair is growing like a weed. Needless to say...I am a Green Monster Junkie!

So what's in it?

Spinach- the key ingredient that is loaded with vitamins and minerals and low in calories. Its a super food

Green Tea- chock full of antioxidants and speeds up metabolism

Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt- Protein, calcium AND probiotics

Strawberries- Fiber, antioxidants, Vitamin C and manganese

Bananas- Iron, Fiber, Potassium and B vitamins

My recipe (I prefer fruitier tasting smoothies):

1. Steep Green Tea then let chill in the freezer for a bit

2. In blender: 1/4 cup Green Tea
                          6 Frozen Strawberries
                          1 Frozen and peeled banana
                          2 Large spoonfulls of Yogurt
                          2 Handfulls of Spinach
                             A few squeezes of Lemon Juice
3. Blend well until all ingredients are mixed
4. Pour into a cup or tumbler and Enjoy!



Have you ever tried a Green Monster? What are your recipes?

xxA

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I have green monsters a few times a week for lunch! In mine I typically add 2 handfuls of spinach,4-5 ice cubes, banana, blueberries, 3/4 c almond milk and a sprinkle of oats or a scoop of almond butter! SO good!

AMarieEll said...

Mmmm bananas and almond milk sound like amazing additions! I will hav to try. Thanks!